ONKYO Remote RC-710M

I’ve got an ONKYO 7.1 surround sound home theater system, and in the past 6 months the volume buttons stopped working, well not stopped… they would periodically work if you mashed/held the buttons (up or down) but generally they stopped being responsive.

After searching online, I almost bought a new remote on ebay just to make the problem go away, there just didn’t seem to be reliable information on the remote itself, let alone how to fix the issue.

Luckily, I searched a bit longer, and found an obscure reference to someone taking the remote apart and cleaning the connectors under the volume buttons.

What I did to open the remote:

1. Remove the remote batteries (open cover)
  2. Unscrew the single screw in the battery tray
  3. Use a guitar pick or plastic thin device to open the remote (it has plastic clips that hold it together that will ‘pop’ free, just apply the right amount of pressure and work your way around.
  4. Cleaned the ‘gunk’ that was very visible in the area of the volume buttons (oil from fingers? maybe glue? not sure)
  5. Isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip worked well, and dried the area with a paper towel after.
  6. Closed everything back up.

That quick process got my remote working back to 100%

So if you have a problem with your volume on the ONKYO┬áRC-710m Remote, don’t panic, just clean it!

77 Comments to “Fixing ONKYO RC-710m Remote volume issues”

1. Graham | March 1st, 2017 at 4:24 PM

I’ve not had volume control for over a year, now it works thanks to this tip! Quick clean and it’s fine. Thank you so much!

2. Joe D | March 6th, 2017 at 10:23 PM

What kind of screwdriver did you use? It appears to be a round hole screw.

3. Mark Hughes | March 29th, 2017 at 7:07 AM

Works great – I was looking for a replacement remote when I found this article. Thanks for posting

4. no one | April 20th, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Well, it worked! There really was some oil only on these two buttons. Unfortunately I destroyed most of the clips when opening my ONKYO RC-737M. Why wouldn’t they think of this when designing the remote? Anyone who designs any device like this should be punished – painfully.

5. nonya | April 20th, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for your post. Surprising how much oil/grease was on the contacts. Cleaning it fixed the problem.

On getting the case open, I found the key was to get a thin wedge (~1mm) and work it back and fourth until the seam separates. At some point you should hear one of the clips pop. Don’t try to “pry” it apart, sliding the wedge should be enough.

6. DeeBo | April 24th, 2017 at 6:48 PM

RC762M

I have a similar model remote. The Onkyo RC762M. My remote volume mysteriously just stop working one day. After troubleshooting all the other buttons I realized that there has to be a fix. I used your info and took apart my remote with a small electronic tool kit that is sold at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. There are plastic handles to take apart so that you won’t mar up the remote control seams. It is very inexpensive and will come in handy for smaller projects. Once taken apart, I followed your cleaning instructions and reassembled. The volume button was responsive as it was new out the box. Thanks for the lead on the fix.

7. Raj | April 27th, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Thank you very much for the step-by-step guide. My volume button has not been working for well over a year. Your instructions helped a lot. Thank you!!