ONKYO Remote RC-710M

I’ve got an ONKYO 7.1 surround sound home theater system, and in the past 6 months the volume buttons stopped working, well not stopped… they would periodically work if you mashed/held the buttons (up or down) but generally they stopped being responsive.

After searching online, I almost bought a new remote on ebay just to make the problem go away, there just didn’t seem to be reliable information on the remote itself, let alone how to fix the issue.

Luckily, I searched a bit longer, and found an obscure reference to someone taking the remote apart and cleaning the connectors under the volume buttons.

What I did to open the remote:

1. Remove the remote batteries (open cover)
  2. Unscrew the single screw in the battery tray
  3. Use a guitar pick or plastic thin device to open the remote (it has plastic clips that hold it together that will ‘pop’ free, just apply the right amount of pressure and work your way around.
  4. Cleaned the ‘gunk’ that was very visible in the area of the volume buttons (oil from fingers? maybe glue? not sure)
  5. Isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip worked well, and dried the area with a paper towel after.
  6. Closed everything back up.

That quick process got my remote working back to 100%

So if you have a problem with your volume on the ONKYO RC-710m Remote, don’t panic, just clean it!

126 Comments to “Fixing ONKYO RC-710m Remote volume issues”

1. Michael | November 8th, 2017 at 8:42 PM

Great tip! Worked exactly as instructed. Strange oil residue, I wonder if it comes from the rubberized plastic because I pressed the volume button hard on dry paper towel and got some to come out. Maybe it absorbs from the fingers until it is saturated? Either way thanks for taking the time to write this up good human.

2. Graham | November 11th, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Just got the same problem. Google search, first hit. Excellent post. It will surely work.

3. Shawn | November 25th, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I am also running into the same issue on my Onkyo remote. It may be some sort of lubricant or manufacturing residue. Back in the day, I took apart my N64 controller because the buttons were not responding well. It ended up having thick dark sticky-like lubricant or residue on the backs of the buttons. Cleaning it helped, but I don’t remember if it ever became bad again. I assume that, whatever residue it was, has become dirty due to oils and other liquids getting in over time and has stopped functioning as intended.

4. Chris | November 29th, 2017 at 4:17 PM

You are the man!!! Cheers from Holland

5. allen | December 3rd, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Half worked, +volume aok, but -volume has same issues, tried several cleans,oh well

6. poo bag scrotal tumour | December 17th, 2017 at 5:38 AM

Just about to buy a new set when I came across this guide. Worked first time, many thanks!

7. Phillip | December 17th, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Thank you so much for this. I had considered buying a new remote for my Onkyo TXNR609 because of this vexing issue with the volume up/down knob being unresponsive for more than a year. It worked just as you detailed it.
    If you were running for President, I would vote for you:).

Thanks again.

8. Daniel | December 23rd, 2017 at 3:34 PM

Didn’t have rubbing alcohol so used wife’s fingernail polish remover on pad and back of rubber button, followed by dab of Windex then dry with a third Q-tip.

Voume button now works perfectly up and down.

9. Suzanne | December 31st, 2017 at 7:28 PM

Well, I can turn the volume down now! The oily residue I cleaned off was sticky. I may try and pop the remote apart again tomorrow and see if I can get the up button to work too.
    Thanks!

10. Zoe | December 31st, 2017 at 10:35 PM

OMG! Volume button has not worked for almost a year and stumbled on this! Followed the directions, used a butter knife to pry it open and cleaned it! Volume button now works. The plastic buttons that snaps the remote together did break but it still went together.

11. Grtscot | January 2nd, 2018 at 6:08 PM

Genius post!
    We were dealing with a volume “up” issue for the past month
    Found a “greasy” slime on the circuit board under the volume section. Cleaned with eye glass cleaner and works like new!
    Thank you!

12. Cosmo | January 3rd, 2018 at 9:33 PM

Great post-saved the day! Same as others found a sticky substance on circuit board–cleaned with alcohol and dried with cool hair dryer. Works like a new remote. Yahoo!!!

13. Jeff | January 6th, 2018 at 11:21 AM

Thanks! Just used dish soap and a paper towel. I wonder what is root cause of residue? Seems that it already under the keys.

14. James | January 7th, 2018 at 2:52 PM

The internet to the rescue!!! It was driving me nuts. Took 5 minutes to fix. Thank you so much for posting this!

15. Trevor | January 11th, 2018 at 4:21 PM

Onkyo RC-764M Remote Control.
    I followed the instructions and then cleaned the volume control contacts using methylated spirits and cotton buds with highly successful results.
    Removing the case was not as easy as described…but I just kept working away at the sides with the back of a thin knife. It didn’t ‘pop free’- it hung on to the bitter end – but I was amazed to find it did clip solidly back together after cleaning.
    A really useful post..thank you.

16. Paul | January 14th, 2018 at 6:11 PM

Had issues with the volume +/- and was about to buy a new remote when I stumbled across this post. I used nail polish remover to remove the black grease and now the remote works perfectly. Thanks for a great post!

17. Ahmed | February 3rd, 2018 at 2:39 PM

Worked!!! Thanks

18. Dasen | February 3rd, 2018 at 6:29 PM

So here it is Feb, 2018, and my Onkyo remote has been exhibiting same symptoms for a little while now. Gotta say a big THANKS! I was already believing it was time to order a replacement, but I found things to be exactly as you described. I find it hard to believe the huge mess of oily substance I found could be from skin oil… i wonder if instead it is some kind of remaining release-agent from Onkyo’s production processing. Either way, use alcohol, nail-polish/acetone, or some kind of oil-destroying chemical and you should be good!
    Thanks again!

19. Robert Lawrence | February 4th, 2018 at 12:30 PM

Worked great! Thank you for posting!

20. Tony | February 16th, 2018 at 5:33 PM

Love it, this internet.
    10 years and it keeps running.
    Now with a working remote again.
    KUDOS!

21. Jim | February 18th, 2018 at 4:46 AM

Yaaaa! Thank you internet! (and this page guy) haha. Same as the rest.. about to buy remote for this aging beast receiver. Fixed the mother board capacitors 2 years ago by internet surgery too! Now it’s remote time! This should be a breeze compared to that. I love you internet! haha. I’m so cheap! Maybe the remote gunk is plasma osmosising from my vintage plasma tv!