ONKYO Remote RC-710M

I’ve got an ONKYO 7.1 surround sound home theater system, and in the past 6 months the volume buttons stopped working, well not stopped… they would periodically work if you mashed/held the buttons (up or down) but generally they stopped being responsive.

After searching online, I almost bought a new remote on ebay just to make the problem go away, there just didn’t seem to be reliable information on the remote itself, let alone how to fix the issue.

Luckily, I searched a bit longer, and found an obscure reference to someone taking the remote apart and cleaning the connectors under the volume buttons.

What I did to open the remote:

1. Remove the remote batteries (open cover)
  2. Unscrew the single screw in the battery tray
  3. Use a guitar pick or plastic thin device to open the remote (it has plastic clips that hold it together that will ‘pop’ free, just apply the right amount of pressure and work your way around.
  4. Cleaned the ‘gunk’ that was very visible in the area of the volume buttons (oil from fingers? maybe glue? not sure)
  5. Isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip worked well, and dried the area with a paper towel after.
  6. Closed everything back up.

That quick process got my remote working back to 100%

So if you have a problem with your volume on the ONKYO┬áRC-710m Remote, don’t panic, just clean it!

99 Comments to “Fixing ONKYO RC-710m Remote volume issues”

1. Graham | March 1st, 2017 at 4:24 PM

I’ve not had volume control for over a year, now it works thanks to this tip! Quick clean and it’s fine. Thank you so much!

2. Joe D | March 6th, 2017 at 10:23 PM

What kind of screwdriver did you use? It appears to be a round hole screw.

3. Mark Hughes | March 29th, 2017 at 7:07 AM

Works great – I was looking for a replacement remote when I found this article. Thanks for posting

4. no one | April 20th, 2017 at 12:08 PM

Well, it worked! There really was some oil only on these two buttons. Unfortunately I destroyed most of the clips when opening my ONKYO RC-737M. Why wouldn’t they think of this when designing the remote? Anyone who designs any device like this should be punished – painfully.

5. nonya | April 20th, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Thanks for your post. Surprising how much oil/grease was on the contacts. Cleaning it fixed the problem.

On getting the case open, I found the key was to get a thin wedge (~1mm) and work it back and fourth until the seam separates. At some point you should hear one of the clips pop. Don’t try to “pry” it apart, sliding the wedge should be enough.

6. DeeBo | April 24th, 2017 at 6:48 PM

RC762M

I have a similar model remote. The Onkyo RC762M. My remote volume mysteriously just stop working one day. After troubleshooting all the other buttons I realized that there has to be a fix. I used your info and took apart my remote with a small electronic tool kit that is sold at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot. There are plastic handles to take apart so that you won’t mar up the remote control seams. It is very inexpensive and will come in handy for smaller projects. Once taken apart, I followed your cleaning instructions and reassembled. The volume button was responsive as it was new out the box. Thanks for the lead on the fix.

7. Raj | April 27th, 2017 at 9:03 AM

Thank you very much for the step-by-step guide. My volume button has not been working for well over a year. Your instructions helped a lot. Thank you!!

8. Dave | May 8th, 2017 at 5:01 PM

I appreciate you posting this fix, I have been looking for a fix for my ONKYO RC-765M. My remote works like new again.
    Took all of fifteen minutes to fix, thanks very much.

Dave

9. Gary | June 17th, 2017 at 10:59 AM

I have the same problem but the cleaning process,as described here, lasted a couple of days. Shy of sanding the contacts with fine sand paper i’m out of ideas and volume..

10. Jason C | June 18th, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Thank you! This fix did the trick!

11. Gus | July 13th, 2017 at 9:49 PM

Thank you so much! Works like a charm

12. asdasd | July 17th, 2017 at 5:21 AM

thanks! it worked!

13. Hester | July 29th, 2017 at 5:26 PM

I used one of the little screwdrivers for eye glasses to open the remote. Start from the bottom first to pry it open. When I finally opened it, there was a thick yellow oil beneath the volume button, just like everyone said. I cleaned it off with white vinegar and closed it back up. Works like new! My volume button has not been working for years and today was the day I finally decided to fix it. Thanks for the great advice!

14. Kevin | August 5th, 2017 at 2:59 PM

Thank you for sharing! Great advice!

15. Harrie Verveer | August 5th, 2017 at 3:20 PM

Worked exactly as you described on my RC- 762M. Thanks!

16. Jonathan | August 8th, 2017 at 1:45 PM

Worked a treat for the remote for my Onkyo CR-515DAB. Thanks!

17. Skyler | August 13th, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Thanks so much. I had the same issue with the vlume button. This guide fixed the problem immediately! 762M

18. Kenny | August 13th, 2017 at 4:02 PM

DA Man!

19. Ev | August 21st, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Many thanks, I’ve been frustrated with this for months and was going to buy a new remote. 15 minutes and all is good. Need to eat less calories now.

20. Dennis | September 2nd, 2017 at 12:37 PM

Thanks,I had the same issue with the vlume button. This the fixed the problem immediately.

21. Peter | September 7th, 2017 at 2:30 AM

Worked fine, thanks. But I am confused re the composition of the deposit. The Volume button is white, and perhaps that plastic degrades differently to that in the others. Or is it particularly permeable to sweat & fat deposits etc.

22. Peter | September 7th, 2017 at 2:36 AM

Sorry – re my previous comment. Most others are white too. I guess the Volume button is much more frequently used than others, and for longer periods – so “something” penetrates the plastic/rubber barriers to a higher extent there

23. Rich | September 8th, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Exactly as described. 5 minute fix! Thanks!

24. Kyle | September 16th, 2017 at 2:00 PM

Exact same thing with mine.. weird oily stuff on the volume contacts under the button. Thanks for this.

25. None | October 2nd, 2017 at 1:00 PM

I was able to fix the volume issue on my RC 803M Onkyo remote control. I had to use two guitar picks. I used the first one to make some space and slides the second one along the remote control line.Thanks for the tip

26. Benjamin | October 5th, 2017 at 10:56 PM

I opened it up using u knife, and wedge it.
    I cleaned the junk with alcohol and paper twice, but now my volume buttons are not working at all. Every other button works just fine…

27. Rich | October 6th, 2017 at 11:40 AM

This fix works perfectly. Thank you

28. ian | October 8th, 2017 at 4:26 AM

Life saver thanks for the post

29. Shazia | October 14th, 2017 at 11:35 AM

Thank you! Worked like a charm!