Windows 7 Icons not showing up or broken issue
I got a strange bug the other day, where my Windows 7 icons would disappear, simply reverting to blank icons, even tho right clicking on the icon > properties, resulted in an image of the programs icon. So I did a quick search and found a valid solution… to delete your icon cache. I was a little hesitant to just delete something, so did a little research and found that this was harmless.
Here are the steps to get your icons fixed:
- Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
- In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You’ll get a confirmation dialog. Click “End Process” to confirm.
- From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task (Run…).
- Copy/paste/enter the following command in the run box:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
- Open the Run box again with File –> New Task (Run…). This time, enter this command:
- All should be okay now. Open the Start Menu and confirm that your icons are fixed now.
That should get you back into working condition (worked perfectly for me, or I wouldn’t post it). All icons show up now.