ONKYO Remote RC-710M

I’ve got an ONKYO 7.1 surround sound home theater system, and in the past 6 months the volume buttons stopped working, well not stopped… they would periodically work if you mashed/held the buttons (up or down) but generally they stopped being responsive.

After searching online, I almost bought a new remote on ebay just to make the problem go away, there just didn’t seem to be reliable information on the remote itself, let alone how to fix the issue.

Luckily, I searched a bit longer, and found an obscure reference to someone taking the remote apart and cleaning the connectors under the volume buttons.

What I did to open the remote:

1. Remove the remote batteries (open cover)
  2. Unscrew the single screw in the battery tray
  3. Use a guitar pick or plastic thin device to open the remote (it has plastic clips that hold it together that will ‘pop’ free, just apply the right amount of pressure and work your way around.
  4. Cleaned the ‘gunk’ that was very visible in the area of the volume buttons (oil from fingers? maybe glue? not sure)
  5. Isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip worked well, and dried the area with a paper towel after.
  6. Closed everything back up.

That quick process got my remote working back to 100%

So if you have a problem with your volume on the ONKYO┬áRC-710m Remote, don’t panic, just clean it!

112 Comments to “Fixing ONKYO RC-710m Remote volume issues”

1. Michael | November 8th, 2017 at 8:42 PM

Great tip! Worked exactly as instructed. Strange oil residue, I wonder if it comes from the rubberized plastic because I pressed the volume button hard on dry paper towel and got some to come out. Maybe it absorbs from the fingers until it is saturated? Either way thanks for taking the time to write this up good human.

2. Graham | November 11th, 2017 at 11:13 AM

Just got the same problem. Google search, first hit. Excellent post. It will surely work.

3. Shawn | November 25th, 2017 at 12:45 PM

I am also running into the same issue on my Onkyo remote. It may be some sort of lubricant or manufacturing residue. Back in the day, I took apart my N64 controller because the buttons were not responding well. It ended up having thick dark sticky-like lubricant or residue on the backs of the buttons. Cleaning it helped, but I don’t remember if it ever became bad again. I assume that, whatever residue it was, has become dirty due to oils and other liquids getting in over time and has stopped functioning as intended.

4. Chris | November 29th, 2017 at 4:17 PM

You are the man!!! Cheers from Holland

5. allen | December 3rd, 2017 at 3:51 PM

Half worked, +volume aok, but -volume has same issues, tried several cleans,oh well

6. poo bag scrotal tumour | December 17th, 2017 at 5:38 AM

Just about to buy a new set when I came across this guide. Worked first time, many thanks!

7. Phillip | December 17th, 2017 at 3:50 PM

Thank you so much for this. I had considered buying a new remote for my Onkyo TXNR609 because of this vexing issue with the volume up/down knob being unresponsive for more than a year. It worked just as you detailed it.
    If you were running for President, I would vote for you:).

Thanks again.