I got scammed by calling home from Costa Rica (off my Resort) for $200 bucks for 3 calls!! They were all under 5-10 minutes long, don’t get scammed on your next vacation. Read up a little, trust me! Its such a pain now trying to fight this company to get a refund for this. Never EVER use a Credit Card to call home, even from a 5 star Resort!

[ digg story ]

I made 3 calls from my Resort – Occidental Grand Papagayo:

CALL FROM C RICA MAR27 8005765402 39.80 (answering machine < 1minute)
CALL FROM C RICA MAR30 8005765402 89.52 (called my gf < 10 minutes)
CALL FROM C RICA MAR27 8005765402 66.27 (called home < 8 minutes)

For those 3 calls I got a grand total of $ 195.59 in charges!

Moral of this story is? There are companies out there that are ready to scam you, NEVER use your credit card because it allows them to KEEP charging you, and you have no way to stop it!

I am now filing complaints with the BBB (California), FCC & FTC against this company. They don’t even return any emails or phone calls.

After a great trip this is the only problem that I run into, its always something on a trip ain’t it?

How I got my money back

I’ve had a bunch of you post here seeking help, I fought my charges and got almost all my money back. Basically I lost money in the end on the US -> Canadian exchange.

What I did, was call them up ( 8005765402 ) place a complaint, tried to talk to customer service (they seem very well trained to handle this type of call). Basically she offered me a $15 dollar credit (yeah right!? I obviously didn’t take it, as accepting anything here would nullify you from further refunds). After searching like many of you have, I found a couple sites with ‘some’ info. And using that info I emailed:

Noemi Olmos => noemi@bbgcomm.com OR phone: +619 671 0199 [might work]
submitted a BBB complaint in the local operating area of BBG Communications.
In my email, I explained my next steps, BBB complain / writing local senator in the area / etc.

It took roughly 2-3 weeks, but she replied, I explained my situation (like many of us) we were not told of the charges, and that I felt like I was being scammed, she offered me a FULL (one time) refund.

Hope this helps many of you that are trying to find what to do after being scammed by this company.

What we could all do for others

I’ve had some thoughts on what we could do collectively (short of some kind of multi-national lawsuit) to curtail BBG or at least warn others, and my best idea is that we contact a local TV station in the area that does that kind of ‘local scams” reporting, and have them corner someone from BBG seeking information. Anyone have any other ideas? I feel too many people are getting burned on this.

Submit complaints at these sites:

BBB history and filing complaints:
FCC filing complaints page (form 2000B):
FTC filing complaints assistant:

They hide under the following company names:
BBG Communications
NTCS
US Satellite Communications

Their address [thanks Google Maps!]

BBG Communications Address
Map & Contact Info

UPDATE [12/04/2010] ———-

Looks like BBG Communications just got sued in class action lawsuit, took awhile for it to happen, but I am glad that it has finally been brought up in court. More details are in the PDF filing & http://www.bbgcommunications.info/. Enjoy!

121 Comments to “BBG Communications Phone Scam”

1. bbgclassaction | December 3rd, 2010 at 7:30 PM

$5,000,000
    Class Action has been filled:
    EVANS v BBG COMMUNICATIONS. INC
    United States District Court
    Southern District of California
    Krause Kalfayan Benink & Slavens, LLP
    625 Broadway, Suite 635
    San Diego, CA 92101
    (619) 232-0331 (phone)
    (619) 232-4019 (fax)
    website:kkbs-law.com

join the class action: more info:

2. george | December 22nd, 2010 at 6:38 PM

BBG Class Action.

December 2010.
    Latest information and updates.
    BBG appeal to the court for a dismissal but the motion is denied.
    First hearing early 2011

BBG have threatend legal action against this website in an attempt to shut it down.
    If you have been overcharged by BBG join the Class action.
    full report.

3. KR | January 16th, 2011 at 10:14 PM

My cell died at LAX. Had to make some short local calls and had no change. Had no idea about BBG scam -expected a legimate service with debit card. Charged 19.98 each for 5 short 50-cent calls. I’m so glad there’s a class action suit against them. I’ve traveled internationally and I’ve only seen these phones in industrialized nations who should be regulating this. I’ve had no trouble with phone scams in third-world, typically corrupt countries. Why are these allowed to operate?

4. Paul G | February 13th, 2011 at 6:44 PM

And it’s still happening! Was in Singapore last week and needed to call back to New Zealand. Followed the instructions on the handy little card they have in the hotel room, but both attempts failed to get through. Although I’m sure I dialed the wrong number the first time. Still, got charged $41 USD per attempt. Have requested my credit card company to stop the payments as they were still listed as pending.

And this trip was on a budget, paid for by customer, so I had no spending money to start with. Not everyone who travels is dripping with spare cash to go through crap like this. Hell, that money has basically taken money out of my family’s food budget for the week.

5. Aitor | March 1st, 2011 at 8:33 AM

I also had to pay for two very expensive calls from Brussels Airport to Sweden thanks to BBG. I complained to the Airport but they just forwarded my complain to BBG. This happened in 2008.

6. Nick | May 24th, 2011 at 8:37 PM

My wife arrived unexpectedly in Sofia and called home for someone to pick her up. 35.29 for 1 min.
    Looks like a lot of people are really upset. They never tell you the charges per min. These are the rates for Paris Hilton and Barney Madoff. We live in 21st century, where the communications are actually very very cheap. All these surcharges are pure profit for these scammers. I think this is a good topic ofr Chris Hansen, Dateline.

7. george | May 25th, 2011 at 8:31 AM

this company are complete thieves…..
    and there doesnt seem to be anyway to stop them….

WHY..
    are airports and hotels still dealing with them?

The airports and hotels that support them are just as guilty…. they recieve huge commision…complain to them and accuse them of supporting this scam..

8. plaintiff | August 10th, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I am one of the plaintiffs on the Mattes/Mansfield lawsuit against BBG. Shortly before this lawsuit began, I sent a letter of complaint to BBG Communications, Inc. Six weeks later I received a letter from Sheppard Mullin attorney Jerry Gumpel that stated, “Please be advised that you addressed your letter to the wrong party. BBG Communications, Inc. does not provide telecommunication services for calls originating in Europe. The correct party to whom you should address your letter to is BBG Global AG, a Swiss corporation.” This statement has been the heart of BBG’s defense. Yet the very website of BBG Communications, Inc. (http://bbgcommunications.com/bbg/aboutus.php) states “our interconnect and billing arrangements enable us to directly carry and deliver telecommunications traffic and bill customers in Canada, Germany, Japan, UK, the US and virtually all countries with credit card transactions.”

Furthermore, over the years, at least one thousand people just like me have complained to the San Diego Better Business Bureau (with gives BBG a richly deserved F) about being overcharged by BBG for calls originating overseas, and in every case the BBB in turn contacted BBG Communications, Inc. In no case did BBG respond, as Jerry Gumpel did to me regarding my overcharge, “Please be advised that you addressed your letter to the wrong party. BBG Communications, Inc. does not provide telecommunication services for calls originating in Europe. The correct party to whom you should address your letter to is BBG Global AG, a Swiss corporation.”

If you look at the website for BBG Global, you will see a photograph of a magnificent building (that just happens to be the United Nations building). The real BBG Global in Switzerland is 460 square feet of office space on the first floor of a multiuse building with people living in the couple of floors up above. There’s no activity at BBG Global (whose business name is taped to its door) during regular business hours, and this “telecommunications leader” doesn’t even have a telephone in its office!

Enough of this BBG Global nonsense, BBG Communications, Inc., of San Diego California and your attorneys, Sheppard, Mullin, Richter, and Hampton! At least try to get your story straight. You are not dealing with fools.

9. John Mattes | September 27th, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Join us in standing up to the scam.Go to http://www.bbgovercharge.com. and file a full account.We stand with the troops and will fight to stop these pickpockets stealing from our troops

10. bbgvictim | January 17th, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Judge Rules in Favor of Master Scammers and Scorns Honest American Citizens

Without regard to evidence, common sense, or the gross injustice inflicted upon hundreds of thousands of US citizens scammed by a company that exists to run a single costly but simple scam, federal judge Anthony J. Battaglia has dismissed a class action lawsuit against a family of international pickpockets whose only real business is in San Diego. The Galicot brothers Gregorio and Rafael run the worldwide payphone scam business BBG Communications, also known by up to one hundred fictitious names, most nefariously the Swiss sham and shell they call “BBG Global AG.”

I was one of the plaintiffs for this lawsuit. The implications of Judge Battaglia’s ruling are immense. The message Battaglia sends is that an attorney can make grand larceny safe as well as profitable for his clients just by filling in all of the boxes correctly. Battaglia signals that justice and common sense have no place in consumer law. I know the evidence in this case extremely well. It shows beyond reasonable doubt that “the Swiss corporation BBG Global AG” is a total fraud designed to protect the Galicots from being brought to justice in the only place they can be brought to justice – the United States.

When evidence rests entirely with the plaintiffs but a ruling is handed entirely to the defense, something is very, very wrong. BBG Global is a shadow of a shadow of a shadow. It is a scam matched only by the BBG payphone scam itself. Battaglia wanted no part of the mountain of evidence that shows that the worldwide business known as BBG is simply the misdoings of the Galicot family that lives in its La Jolla mansions and scams from its large office at 1658 Gailes Blvd, San Diego.

Instead, his January 10, 2011 ruling took every word of Gregorio Galicot’s, quite possibly the world’s most successful con artist, at face value. Because Galicot says his businesses BBG Communications in San Diego and “BBG Global” in Switzerland are independent businesses, then they are independent businesses, or so says Battaglia. Reader, please Google “bbg communications” and “fraud.” Has a judge ever treated American consumers with greater disdain?

11. Norma | July 31st, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I have just arrived back from Holiday in New Zealand and I can see a charge on my card of BBG Communications Luxembourg LUX for $38.02, the only time we used our credit card on that date was to make a call from a public phone box at the top of Cardrona Mountain Ski fields outside Queenstown NewZealand. We were informed by staff of the payphone in the café area which conveniently had no slot for coins & was card only. We tried to ring my sister in law in NZ (same country) but some how the call went through to the wrong number & we hung up immediately. $38.02 is a rip off!

12. V_Pan | September 26th, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I got charged A$ 71.20 and my call was not even connected. This happened at Guangzhou airport in China. My money went to : BBG COMMUNICATIONS LUXEMBOURG LUX. I reported this matter to my bank who cancelled my card and lodged a dispute. BEWARE of BBG COMMUNICATIONS LUXEMBOURG LUX

13. chile | October 15th, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I phone called at a pay phone in Ciudad de Mexico Airport 2 days ago. I could not make the call but they started to charge my credit card. They did so 6 times. The last two where today. It´s a fraud and really don´t understand how they do it. I will never use my credit card again for a phone call. I had to block the credit card calling the bank.

14. jonnymac | March 15th, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I made a 10 minute call fro Bulgaria to the UK. The fraud department asked me to confirm ik to pay

BBG. I was shocked at the amount. when my bill arrived it had risen to £53.00, I am now in touch with

my credit card company for a refund, Don’t hold out much hope. Have contacted BBC Watchdog as people should de aware.

15. Aliza | January 31st, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I’ve been bdowsing on-line more than three hours these days, butt
    I byy no means found any fascinating article like
    yours. It’s beautiful value sufficient for me. Personally,
    if all site owners aand bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the web
    shall be mujch more helpful than ever before.

16. Bbg Communications Lawsuit | Lawyer - How To Claim Injuries | March 19th, 2016 at 1:25 AM

[…] BBG Communications Phone Scam | blog.biernacki.ca – 120 Comments to “BBG Communications Phone Scam” bbgclassaction | December 3rd, 2010 at 7:30 PM. $5,000,000 Class Action has been filled: EVANS v BBG COMMUNICATIONS. […]